Sunday, February 3, 2013

By Rob Leigh Comments 'We're a little bit underdog': Another awards win for Oscar-snubbed Ben Affleck sees Argo continue to pick up momentum

40-year-old star picked up the Directors Guild of America’s top honour last night for his Iran hostage drama


All smiles: '... Take me out of it maybe helps ... it's just about that picture'
All smiles: '... Take me out of it maybe helps ... it's just about that picture'
Reuters
Ben Affleck believes being “a little bit underdog” may be aiding film Argo’s success during the film awards season – despite his own Oscars snub .
The 40-year-old star picked up the Directors Guild of America’s top honour last night for his Iran hostage drama in a category that tends to be seen as an indicator of similar success at the Academy Awards bash.
Only six times in the DGA's history has the winner failed to go on to take the Oscar for best director.
"I don't think that this makes me a real director, but I think it means I'm on my way," he said of last night’s victory, following up the film’s winning streak at both the Producers Guild and the Screen Actors Guild ceremonies last weekend.
Ben Affleck
"You're not entitled to anything": Nice when you win though, eh?
Getty
 
It has also earned gongs for best director and best film at the Golden Globes and at the Critics Choice Awards, shutting out bookies' favourite Lincoln .
Backstage at the DGA ceremony, Affleck said he had nothing but respect for the Academy, adding that "you're not entitled to anything."
"I'm thrilled and honoured that the Academy nominated me as a producer of the movie," he said.
"I know our movie, we're a little bit underdog and a little bit the little engine that could, and you take me out of it maybe helps ... it's just about that picture. I feel like it's OK, I'm really lucky, I'm in a good place."
The 65th Annual DGA Awards, hosted by Kelsey Grammer, were held at the Ray Dolby Ballroom in Los Angeles.
Ben Affleck

No comments:

Post a Comment